Mulching is one of the simplest and most beneficial practices you can apply to your garden. Mulch is an organic material spread on the soil surface to protect plant roots from heat, cold, and drought, and to provide nutrients to plants as they decompose.
The benefits of mulch include:
- Protects the soil from erosion
- Reduces compaction from the impact of heavy rains
- Conserves moisture, reducing the need for frequent watering
- Maintains a more even soil temperature
- Prevents weed growth
- Keeps fruits and vegetables clean
- Provides a “finished” look
Mulching will help your garden look greener and stay healthier. There are many different types and colors of mulch. We can discuss the benefits of each type with you, as well as cost, to help you decide. Which color you choose is more of a personal taste.
When to Mulch
If you’re wondering when to mulch, we’ve got the answers.
- In the autumn, spread a ring of mulch around newly planted trees, shrubs or herbaceous perennials.
- In early winter, tender plants like Verbena bonariensis or dahlias, will benefit from a thick mulch. It will help protect roots and the crown of the plant from frost.
- Late winter or early spring is the best time to mulch entire beds or borders. This will trap moisture from wet weather and ensure beds don’t dry out quickly in the heat of summer.
To schedule a quote for our mulching services, call us today at 410-477-5320, or contact us.